How to Start a Blog on Squarespace
If you are interested in joining the blogging world then you may be overwhelmed with all of the information out there for how to start a blog.
What platform should you use? How do you go about starting a blog? How do you add blog posts? How do you schedule them? How do you design your blog?
Lucky for you, you are in just the right place! In this post I am going to share all things blogging with you. So grab a pen and paper for note taking and get ready for an in-depth how-to blog post!
Spoiler alert, I recommend blogging with Squarespace and this post is going to be specific to creating a blog on Squarespace. So if you already started your website with another platform and aren’t willing to switch, then this post isn’t going to be for you.
But if you are willing to consider Squarespace, then let’s get to it!
My goal today is to show you just how easy it is to set up a blog on Squarespace so you can see just how amazing Squarespace is as a content management system.
You can watch the video tutorial or read this step by step blog post.
Why Blog on Squarespace?
If you have read any of my blog posts before then you know I am all about Squarespace for bloggers.
Squarespace is an all in one platform so you can build your beautiful website, start an in depth blog, and set up a shop! The best thing about it is that it’s all super easy to use, once you get the hang of things.
Squarespace is meant for beginners. Every thing is drag and drop, so you don’t need to know how to code to make your website (or blog) look good.
All the templates available are clean and professional looking right out of the box, so minimal work is required.
The blogging interface on Squarespace is seriously so simple.
I could go on and on but I already wrote an entire blog post on why I love Squarespace, and why you will too.
All you need to do to get started is start your free trial, pick your template, and do a little DIY design and your all set!
Get the exact steps you need to take to go from idea to design to launch your website with ease and attract the right people so you can grow your online biz >>>
Adding a Blog to Squarespace
First, I want to clarify that it doesn’t matter which template you have, adding a blog to your Squarespace website will be the same. It’s just the style of the blog that will differ form template to template.
1. Login to the backend of your Squarespace website
2. Click on Pages on the left side
3. Scroll down towards the bottom to where it says Not Linked and click the + to add a new page
The reason I recommend adding your blog to the not linked is because it’s a good habit to always create new pages in the not linked section and then move them to your desired navigation once they are finished.
4. From the New Page menu, select Blog
5. Hover over the new blog page in your pages panel and click the gear icon to choose the settings for your blog
6. In the pop up, decide on your settings. You can change things like your Navigation Title, URL slug, Page Title, and the number of posts displayed per page.
Creating a Blog Post
1. Click on the new blog on your Pages panel
2. Click the + in the upper right corner of the side panel to create a new blog post and the blog post editor will pop up
3. In this pop up you can add your blog post title, write your content, add tags and categories, and schedule, save, or publish your post
The white space is where you will write your actual content, but it can be so much more than just text. I will get a little more into this later when we talk about designing your blog posts.
Tags is where you will add your SEO keywords. Categories is a great way to organize your blog posts and also count as SEO keywords.
If you don’t want people to be able to comment on your blog post, you can leave the setting as Comments Off or you can click it to turn comments on.
If you want to save your blog post as a draft, just click Save. If you want to publish it right away, you can click on Save & Publish.
If you want to schedule your blog post to be published at a later date or time, click on Draft and a little menu will pop up. Select Scheduled, then click on the date and time to change when it will be published. Now when you click Save it will automatically publish the post on the date and time you have selected.
4. Click the Options tab at the top of the blog post editor
Here you can add your thumbnail image for your blog post. You can learn more about adding and using thumbnails on Squarespace’s Support page.
To the right you can change your blog post’s URL. Best practices for blog posts URLs is to include keywords from your blog post title and never included the date.
Further down, you can add the excerpt of your blog post. Some templates will allow you to show blog excerpts on the blog page, so you can use this for that purpose.
Otherwise, it’s a good idea to include an excerpt as this will be your meta description for the blog post. So again, a good place for keywords.
Designing Your Blog Post
1. In the blog post editor, on the Content tab, click the big white space where you will write your content
It’s good practice to write your blog posts elsewhere, either in a Google Doc or in Evernote, then copy and paste the text into your blog post editor. This way in case Squarespace crashes or your internet goes down, you won’t lose all of your work.
When pasting text into Squarespace, it will carry over the formatting from your other text editor and end up looking all wrong. To prevent this, right click, then select Paste and Match Style. Or if you’re on a Mac, you can use the keyboard shortcut, Command + Shift + V
2. Blog posts can be set up using content blocks, just like any other pages on Squarespace. To add any type of content, hover over the white space and click on one of the sideways teardrop insert points. This will make the Content Block pop up appear. You can then add text, images, buttons, video, etc.
3. Now just drag and drop all your content pieces into the positions you would like
4. Click Save to save your work and close out of the blog post editor
Previewing and Editing Blog Posts
One of the things that makes blogging on Squarespace so amazing is that you can actually edit your post while in preview mode. That way, you can see the changes happening live!
While viewing your blog page, you will see your scheduled, published, and draft blog posts show up on the left side in the blog panel. When you click on a blog post it will show you the preview on the right side of your screen.
Now you can choose how you want to view your blog post. At the very top of the page, there’s a little bar with a line on it. When you hover over it, the line turns into a downward carrot.
Click on the bar and you will see options to view your blog post as mobile, tablet, or desktop. Desktop is of course already chosen, so you can click the others to see how your blog post will look on them. To go back to the normal view, just click the desktop.
To view your blog post full screen on desktop, click the little arrow in the upper lefthand corner to expand your screen. To go back, simply click the arrow again.
To make edits, hover over the blog post content and click the Edit tab when it appears. Now you can make edits to your blog post title and content, including add new content blocks.
If you want to make further edits, just click on Settings in the upper right to open the blog post editor.
Editing Your Blog Page
So now you know how to add and edit an individual blog post. Let’s edit the blog page itself.
This is where your template will make a difference. Each template offers different options and different styles. While walking you through these steps, yours might look a little different but the basics of it should be similar enough.
In order to do this, you need to view your blog landing page instead of an individual blog post.
1. Go back to your Pages panel by clicking Pages in the upper lefthand corner of your blog page panel
2. Now click on your blog page again and you should see your blog page instead of a single post
3. Double click on Pages in the upper lefthand corner to be brought back to your Home panel
4. Click on Design
5. Click Site Styles
6. Scroll down until you see the section labeled BLOG
7. Play around with those settings and see what you like best
And that’s it! You just learned how to start a blog on Squarespace. You are well on your way to becoming a Squarespace blogger! Yay!!
Don’t forget to grab your roadmap to walk you through designing your website so it attracts the right people and helps to grow your business!